Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Who's Your Best Friend?

 Some of my favorite memories are those spent with my family members. My family always tries to find special ways in which we can spend quality time together, whether it's going on vacations, celebrating each others birthdays, or going to a family member's musical concert. Whatever the case may be, I always remember how my mom would encourage everyone to be involved in encouraging our family to support one anther and spend time with each other. 


I can recall many times where I was in a school musical concert and all of my immediate family, including my grandparents as well as some extended family, would come and support me in my talents playing in the musical program. Mom always said, "When is your next concert? We have to put that on the calendar!" or "Call your grandparents and let them know when your concert is!" or "Your father needs to be sure he's free from work the night of your concert!" Whatever the case may be, my mom had (and still is) a pro at making sure everyone was on the right track of when our next "family activity" would be and if we are all free from our own lives to participate with the family. 

As a daughter, I remember feeling excited when I walked on stage of a performance, looked out to the audience and see my family seated towards the center, right in the front of the auditorium. Dad had the video camera out all ready to push record, mom would hold the camera ready to take a photo whenever she could see my face through the meander of students all fumbling around as they would prepare to play music for their loved ones. 

I absolutely love it as our family encourages that family time. These activities help strengthen our family so much, and we all learn to have a good time in each others company. I value all the time I spend with my family. 

One thing I'd like to address is the responsibility fathers have in a family with their children. There are three characteristics regarding parenting: love, limits, and latitude. 

I'd like to discuss more about the first characteristic: love. 

I see love as my family is gathered together and spending time with one another. I feel love as I see my family with their video cameras out waiting to listen to me perform my musical piece. I cherish love as I notice my family members feeling of that same love. However, one specific love I want to address is when I can feel the love from my dad. 

When I was a little girl, my parents decided to let each one of their children spend some one-on-one time with their father. So, my dad would take each one of us kids out individually and get some ice-cream or another fun activity and just spend some time with us. He would ask us some questions on how school was going, etc. It was so long ago I can't really recall most of our conversation, however I do remember that special time I would spend with my dad. During those times I truly felt like he was my dad; that he was my friend.   


"Take time to be a real friend to your children. Listen to your children, really listen. Talk with them, laugh and joke with them, sing with them, play with them, cry with them, hug them, honestly praise them. Yes, regularly spend unrushed one-on-one time with each child. Be a real friend to your children" (pp. 103-117). 

My dad prays with my family, he works hard so my family can have food on the table, he laughs with us, he plays games with us, he asks us how our days went. As a daughter, I truly believe that knowing my dad believes in me keeps me going, keeps me motivated, and makes me feel special. Special because I know if there is at least one person I can count on, it's my dad. 

I can honestly testify that as I really know and can feel the encouragement radiating from my parents, especially my dad, I feel more powerful. I feel that they really believe in me, that they see a potential of whom I can become; who I'm destined to become.  

Parents: I know that as you take the time to become your child's best friend they will cherish that forever. You want your children to succeed in their lives? Become their friend. Show them that you are sincere in getting to know who they really are. I know this will be a life-changing experience for both you and your children. You will see them as a new person, you WILL see who they really are. You won't regret becoming their friend. I promise. So, try it TODAY. :)

Children: Go to your parents and tell them you want to be their best friend. Show them you want to have them as your best friend. Why? Because of all your other "best friends" out there, your parents are one of the best kinds of friends to have.

 Sources:


Hart, C., Newell, L., & Haupt, J. (2012). Parenting with Love, Limits, and Latitude: Proclamation Principles and Supportive Scholarship. In Successful Marriages and Families: Proclamation Principles and Research Perspectives (pp. 103-117). Provo, Utah: Brigham Young University.

No comments:

Post a Comment