"From the beginning, God organized the human family and revealed that marriage and family relationships are intended to be eternal. Latter-day prophets have taught that while Adam and Eve were sealed in marriage for time and all eternity, the time would come when the doctrine of the eternal family would be lost to mankind" (pp. 337-345).
The family is so important. In this world, people are being blinded and forgetting how crucial the family is. People are stronger in the family. We are taught from modern prophets that the stronger the family is in the home, the harder it is for Satan to tempt those in that family.
"President Spencer W. Kimball taught that 'the time will come when only those who believe deeply and actively in the family will be able to preserve their families in the midst of the gathering evil around us'" (pp. 354-358).
What are some ways in which we can bring our families closer together?
Family recreation!
Everyone loves to have a good time. I mean, come on, who doesn't like to have fun? One of the most memorable experiences I have with my family are when we are all doing an activity together, laughing together and having fun.
"We live in a world full of opportunities to engage in wholesome family recreation, if we know where to look for them. Wholesome recreation is an intentional process. It can sere to promote positive development in our children, strengthen our marriages, and build strong families...The components to wholesome recreation include opportunities to verbally communicate, develop skills, face challenges, create memories, share traditions and beliefs, and spend time together in the family setting" (pp. 225-236).
Some activities I have done with my family are going on vacations each year. We have a cabin in a small ranch in Idaho in which we all take one week each year and we spend time up there. We play in the creek behind the cabin, we visit Yellowstone National Park, and we go visit the sand dunes. I love being able to ask my family members, "Remember that time when..." and we can all laugh and smile about the fond memories we've built with one another. It creates unity, and invites happy feelings and the Spirit to be present in the home.
Studying and learning from The Family: A Proclamation to the World has caused me to be so much more appreciative of my family. One weekend, I went home and visited my family. I had just read and studied about loving your family, raising them in caring matters, and trying to love them as our Father in Heaven and His Son Jesus Christ love them. When I got home, I noticed that my little sister was sick; I immediately felt compassion towards her and wanted her to feel as comfortable as I could. I gave her hugs, I asked her if she needed anything, I gave her food, and I helped her feel snuggled up on the couch where she was petting the cat. As the day ended, I got in a little argument with my mom and felt that love being replaced by frustration. Tired of the argument, I went to my room where I was sleeping for the weekend and to my surprise, I found a little note written on a napkin. As I saw the handwriting, I knew immediately who it was from; my little sister. Tears came to my eyes as I read her sweet little note. Her note was full of gratitude and love about me caring for her as she was sick. Her example of love towards me humbled me to get on my knees and apologize to Heavenly Father to my behavior against my mom. After my prayer of humility, I walked out of the room and back to where my mom and I had ended our argument. With a humble heart, I was able to face her and admit to her of my wrongs and ask for her forgiveness. After her and I made it right with each other and had a good chat, I went to my little sister and hugged her, thanking her for the note she gave me. Our family certainly is our support in our lives; we can build up on one another and help each other as we go throughout our lives. I am indeed grateful for their examples to me as to what it means to be a disciple of Jesus Christ.
This quote from the book "Successful Marriages and Families: Proclamation Principles and Research Perspectives" gives a viewpoint of a mother's nurture and love towards her children, however I feel this is applicable to all.
"There is no perfect way to be a good mother. Each situation is unique. Each mother has different challenges, different skills and ablilities, and certainly different children. The choice is different and unique for each mother and each family...What matters is that a mother loves her children deeply and, in keeping with the devotion she has for God and her husband, prioritizes the above all else" (pp. 128-139).
Sources:
Erickson, J. (2012). Mothers as Nurturers. In Successful Marriages and Families: Proclamation Principles and Research Perspectives (pp. 128-139). Provo, Utah: Brigham Young University.
Hawkins, A. (2012). Sharing and Defending Family Proclamation Principles. In Successful Marriages and Families: Proclamation Principles and Research Perspectives (pp. 354-358). Provo, Utah: Brigham Young University.
Judd, D. (2012). The Eternal Family: A Plain and Precious Part of the Plan of Salvation. In Successful Marriages and Families: Proclamation Principles and Research Perspectives (pp. 337-345). Provo, Utah: Brigham Young University.
Widmer, M., & Taniguchi, S. (2012). Wholesome Family Recreation: Building Strong Families. In Successful Marriages and Families: Proclamation Principles and Research Perspectives (pp. 225-236). Provo, Utah: Brigham Young University.


No comments:
Post a Comment